Monday, October 4, 2010

Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own.


I've decided to start this blog for myself more than anyone else. Ever since the end of my last marriage I have become enthralled with reading. It kinda helped me escape the world I didn't want to know anymore. Since then it has just become a passion, I love to read, it is my favorite pastime.
Some people collect stamps, some coins, as for me, I collect books. I like to have everything I have read on my bookshelf. When someone offers for me to barrow a book that they suggest I graciously decline but do take the suggestion and buy my own copy. This blog will virtually keep track of my bookshelf since I don't really do so in person.
I wish I would of started this blog years ago to create a better accurate account of the books I have read; better late then never right? So for now I need to play catch up, hopefully Deke can help me remember the order of the books I have read!

4 comments:

Britty said...

Kim- are you signed up with goodreads? I love it and it's a similar thing where you keep track of what you've read and what friends are reading. It could be a supplement to this great blog. So fun!

Bryan Larson said...

Hey Kim,

I have been wanting to do the same thing; that is keep track of my reading. I just finished making up a spreadsheet to track my reading last week. It tracks when you start, finish, past reads, notes about a book and a wishlist. Mostly it uses basic functions and sorting to change the view, but I also added a macro that makes adding books to the list a snap. If you like, I can email it to you.

Reading is wonderful!

Bryan

In a nut shell... said...

ohhh Bryan, I'm really surprised you're not a computer programmer or something. I would love to take a look at your spread sheet. I really wish I had started keeping track years ago. Luckily I have most of the books I've read on my book shelf but I don't remember the order of which I read them. Oh well...

Brittany - I created an account with goodreads, we'll see how that goes.

Tricia said...

Brittany and Kim, and Bryan, I am on Goodreads too. It does exactly what you are looking for, plus you can see how other people rate books and get good suggestions from what other people are reading. We should friend each other on there!